Music for the Augmented Pipe Organ
Music for the Augmented Pipe Organ is a concert experience which merges the vibrant acoustics of the pipe organ with the techniques of electronic music.
Viewing the pipe organ as both a ‘traditional’ and ‘radical’ instrument capable of constructing new sound worlds, the project extends the instrument towards an emerging digital culture using custom digital interfaces that allow real-time manipulation of all organ pipes and stops.
“transforms the world’s oldest mechanical synthesizer into a jarringly futuristic device …. makes the organ feel alive with possibility” – The Wire: Adventures in Sound and Music
Exploring new poetics and anomalies of the organ, the instrument no longer strictly represents a bridge to religion or continuation of a “classical” tradition, but now revels in the most disparate sonic ideas and approaches. This exciting area of interdisciplinary work celebrates process and experimentation and rewards close listening.
- 2019__Pacific Spirit United Church, Vancouver, Canada
- 2020__Kunst-Station Sankt Peter, Köln, Germany
- 2022__Open Ears Festival, Kitchener, Canada
- 2023__Orgelpark, Amsterdam
- 2023__lab30 Festival, Augsburg, Germany
- 2023__AGGREGATE, Berlin, Germany
- 2024__Stavanger Concert Hall, Norway
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music, Media, and Technology (CIRMMT)
- Canada Council for the Arts, Special Initiative Frankfurt 2020